I. There are 10 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence.
1. The rapid ______ of the country into a world power surprised the world .
A. growth B. growing C. grow D. grew
2. I don’t wonder she ________ tears after the way you spoke to her.
A. brake into B. burst out C. burst into D. look into
3. She is ______ of a poet ______ a musician.
A. less…than B. much…than C. more… than D. more…than
4. There’re wide ________ in my knowledge of history.
A. distance B. gaps C. space D. room
5. There’s ____ chance of us getting there by eight.
A. no B. other C. more D. less
6. She is ________ a strong candidate for the job.
A. saw as B. consider as C. looked as D. viewed as
7. Did you notice the little boy _____ away?
A. took the candy and run
B. taking the candy and run
C. take the candy and run
D. who taking the candy and running
8. _____ the first to use nuclear weapons.
A. At no time China will be B. Never China will be
C. Will China never be D. At no time will China be
9. A library with five thousand books _____ to the nation as a gift.
A. is offered B. has offered C. are offered D. have offered
10. _____ gives people more knowledge of the society than literature.
A. Anything B. Nothing C. Something D. Everything
II. Translate the following into Chinese.
1. At times we may wonder why there is no complete system into which all of chemistry fits perfectly.
2. Physical chemistry, a productive marriage of physics with chemistry, includes the problems of chemical reactions, the energy associated with them, the structure of molecules, and the nature of various states of matter.
3. In recent years, the development of a wide variety of electronic tools has greatly speeded up the chemist’s work and has made possible more accurate measurements as well as measurements of new factors.
4. Today, when a student begins to study a discipline, such as chemistry, it may appear to him that the subject is completely “worked out,” that all the answers have been found, and that there is nothing new to discover.
5. However, more new chemistry than ever is now being discovered in these three areas.
6. Consequently, an intellectual discipline thrives best in an academic atmosphere.
III. Translate the following into English, using the words or expressions given in the brackets.
1. 无论你将从事哪一门自然科学的研究，对基本化学知识的了解都是十分必要的。(discipline, pursue)
2. . 物理学是关于物质运动及其规律的科学。(be concerned with )
4. 中国不仅是一个人口大国，而且已经发展成为一个经济大国。(grow into)
6. 他们把该项工作分成几个活动去做。(break up into)
Write a summary of the reading passage in no less than 100 words.
I. 1-5 ACDBA 6-10 DCDAB
II. 1. 有时我们会很奇怪，为什么没有一个完整的体系，使所有的化学知识都能在其中找到适当的位置。
III. 1. There is an offer in America for me to do. No matter which discipline of natural science you will pursue, it is necessary for you to learn the basic knowledge in chemistry.
2. Physics is a science concerned with the motion of matter and its rules.
3. All the disciplines of natural science form a body of systematized knowledge.
4. China is not only a country of great population but also has grown into an economic giant country.
5. As long as everyone works hard, the country will thrive and become prosperous.
6. They broke up the job into several activities.